Making your own gnocchi is easier than you’d think, it’s just time consuming. The secret is to cook them 4 or 5 at a time and sprinkle a bit of water on the cooked ones while to cook the rest, that prevents them from sticking together.
- 1kg Vivaldi potato sliced
- 1 1/2 cup flour plus extra for kneading and dusting
- 650g plum tomatoes cut in half
- 2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 10g chives chopped
- Handful basil
- 1 vegetable cube
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- Boil the potatoes without their skins for about 20 minutes until soft. Set aside until cool down enough to handle, then mash.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and use your hands to bring it together.
- Add the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time and knead to incorporate all the flour.
- Transfer the dough into a floured surface and knead for 1 minute, add a bit more of flour if needed but keep in mind that the dough is sticky.
- Divide the mixture into four then roll each out into 20mm diameter ropes. Cut the rope at 15mm intervals.
- Drop the gnocchi into boiling salted water and scoop out when they rise to the top and set aside.
- Fry the garlic and onions on a low fire for 5 minutes.
- Add the chives and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, black pepper, basil and vegetable cube and cook it low fire for 20 minutes.
- When the pasta is ready add the vegan margarine and mix it with the sauce.
- Nut free
- Soya free