Doce de leite or milk candy, is a typical desert in Brazil made basically from milk and sugar. I was determined to make a vegan version of it and after a few attempts I came up with a recipe that actually tastes like doce de leite and also has the same consistency. So to make it more interesting I came up with the bite recipe below, but will also post another way to use of. If you are Brazilian and vegan, you will be pleased with this recipe and if you are not, here is a new one for you!! Enjoy!
- 650ml + 6tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 60g dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 4 tbsp corn flour
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar to sprinkle
- Using an upside down small glass cut the puffy pastry into small circle.
- Using a back of a small spoon or a wooden spoon lightly press the centre of each circle and bake it at 180c for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime pour the 650ml milk with the cinnamon stick in a pan and cook it in low fire for 25 minutes stirring from time to time.
- Mix the 6 tbsp of milk with the corn flour and pour into the pan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir for about 20 minutes or until it thickens.
- Turn the fire off, pour in the vanilla extract and stir for a few minutes to cool down.
- When the pastry is swollen and golden brown, remove it from the oven and using a sharp knife cut the middle of it to open the shells. You will see that there will be a line on the side and by pressing the knife you will be able to easily open it.
- Put 2 tbsp of the doce de leite on the base of the shells, close it and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Soya free