The combination strawberry/vegan gelatine/custard is delicious, add to it a crunchy crust and you have the perfect tart. This dessert is a delight to the eyes and the taste buds, a sophisticated desert that will impress your friends.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ice-cold water
- 2 cup strawberry juice
- 2 tsp agar-agar powder or 2 tbsp agar-agar flakes
- 6 big strawberry sliced
- 1/2 cup vegan custard cream
- Place all the ingredients except the water in a bowl. Using a fork, mix the ingredients.
- Then slowly drizzle the cold water, a tablespoon at a time, over the flour, mixing with the fork quickly until the dough starts to clear the sides of the bowl and comes together.
- Place the dough in cling wrap and let it rest in the fridge for one hour.
- Take the disc from the fridge and roll it out to about 12 inches, using as much flour as you need to keep it from sticking to the surface.
- Open the dough on a greased 8 inches round spring form baking tray.
- Bake the crust at 180C for 15 minutes or until light golden.
- Open the baking tray and carefully remove the crust from the tray and let it cool.
Putting the pie together
- Spread the vegan custard at the base of the crust.
- Lay half of the sliced strawberry on top of the custard to cover the entire surface of the tart.
- In a sauce pan mix the juice and agar-agar and bring it to boil, stirring from time to time.
- Turn the fire off and stir it for about 10 minutes or until it cools down to body temperature.
- Pour the gelatine on top of the strawberry and lay the rest of the strawberry slices on top of it.
- Nut free