This is my first risotto and the reason why I haven’t made it before is because my husband, who is crazy about rice, is not a fan of sticky rice. The good news is he loved it! yay!! Two tips are extremely important when doing this recipe -keep stirring, this helps the starch ooze out of the rice and gives risotto its creamy texture – cook it until is al dente as that gives a bit of a texture to the risotto.
- 300g arborio rice
- 6 shallots sliced
- 250g mushroom sliced
- 100ml cider (dry)
- 30g sunblushed tomato
- Hand full parsley chopped
- 5 cups (mugs) boiling water
- 1 vegetable cube
- 50g vegan cheese grated
- Boil the water and add in the vegetable stock.
- Saute the shallots in a little oil.
- Add the mushroom and cook until it looses all its water.
- Add in the rice and cook it for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the cider and stir continuously until absorbed.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Pour a ladleful of hot stock, cook over a medium heat and keep stirring until all the stock is absorbed.
- Repeat this until all the stock has been used, the rice no longer has a chalky core and the risotto is thick and glossy.
- Turn the fire off and add the cheese and parsley.
- Leave the risotto to sit for a few minutes so that all the flavours and liquid absorb and settle.
- Nut free
- Soya free